Prepares required entry forms/import documentation and electronic submissions to US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and other government agencies (OGA). Coordinates inbound shipments with CBP/OGA, importers/consignees, carriers, freight forwarders, outport brokers, messengers and truckers to expedite cargo delivery to final destination. Provides strong customer service. Operates under general supervision.
Essential Job Functions:
- Apply for tariff concessions or duty drawbacks and other refunds.
- Post bonds for the products being imported or assist clients in obtaining bonds.
- Request or compile necessary import documentation, such as customs invoices, certificates of origin, and cargo-control documents.
- Sign documents on behalf of clients, using powers of attorney.
- Stay abreast of changes in import laws and regulations by reading current literature, attending meetings or conferences, or conferring with colleagues.
- Advise customers on import restrictions, tariff systems, insurance requirements, quotas, or other customs-related matters.
- Calculate duty and tariff payments owed on shipments.
- Classify goods according to tariff coding system.
- Clear goods through customs and to their destinations for clients.
- Confer with officials in various agencies to facilitate clearance of goods through customs and quarantine.
- Maintain relationships with customs brokers in other ports to expedite clearing of cargo.
- Pay, or arrange for payment of, taxes and duties on shipments.
- Prepare and process import and export documentation according to customs regulations, laws, or procedures.
- Quote duty and tax rates on goods to be imported based on federal tariffs and excise taxes.
- Monitor or trace the location of goods, if needed.
- Provide advice and quotes on transportation options.
- Prepare papers for shippers to appeal duty charges.
- Coordinate freight release, Pier Pass TMF and Clean Trucks Program CTF fees
- Coordinate exams.
- Confirm Customs/OGA release status.
- Coordinate local delivery.
- Update shipment status to client.
- Receive and review import documentation from origin offices for upcoming in bound shipments.
- Notify consignee if any document/information are missing in order to process CBP/OGA entry.
- Invoice client for services.