1. PURPOSE: State briefly (in one or two sentences) the overall purpose of the position.
To provide superior customer service to ocean import customers. To process ocean import shipments using the DCS or similar system and facilitate ocean cargo movement.
2. SPECIFIC DUTIES In order of importance, list the essential duties which make up the regular assignment. This should include all the duties that are performed. Use specific action verbs, such as “file”, “compile”, “operate”, etc.; avoid “prepare”, “handle”, and “assist”. State the frequency; i.e., daily, weekly, monthly, annually, and occasionally.
1. Assist customers on the telephone and through e-mail by acting as the central point of contact between the Import customer and other LFL departments.
2. Enter ocean import shipment information into the ilogistics system and create ocean import documentation including checks, arrival notices, invoices, delivery orders and file settlement reports.
3. Communicate with customs house brokers (internal or external) and overseas LFL offices and/or agents regarding shipment details and problem resolution.
4. Communicate with steamship lines to verify inbound arrival information.
5. File and Forward ISF.
6. Update and forward customer shipment tracking reports as required by customers’ Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s).
7. Arrange trucking to customer’s warehouses as required by SOP’s.
8. Communicate with freight locations to verify shipment availability.
9. Identify and resolve issues causing delays in ocean cargo movement.
10. Update customer SOP’s as necessary.
11. Create and forward back up documentation for accounts payable for payments on appropriate A/P posted items.
12. Review and notate shipment file number of trucker invoices.
13. Approve invoices for payment by accounting department.
14. Additional job duty upon management’s request
3. WORK ACTIVITY ALLOCATION
List the various functional areas that are required as part of the job and the percentage of the total working time spent on each. (Ex. Customer service 60% and clerical 40%)
4. WORKING RELATIONSHIPS List the titles of individuals, departments, and organizations with which this position has the most frequent contact. This should include both inside and outside the company. Briefly describe the nature or purpose of these contacts.
Most Frequent Contacts
Nature or Purpose
Service including shipment tracking and procedure questions
Manager – Ocean Import Supervisor
Procedure & direction questions
Invoice payment and file settlement questions
Shipment pick up and delivery instructions
Shipment arrival and availability information
Shipment availability information
Shipment information and communications
· Thorough knowledge of international shipping procedures
· Thorough knowledge of port practices and procedures
· Three to Four years in the industry
· DCS system knowledge and experience
· DOT General Awareness training
· Basic math abilities
· Basic PC skills